Tuesday, May 6, 2008

The Cranefly, Montana Mosquito, Mosquito Hawk, Mosquando

Okay, so I made up the last one, but I thought it fit.  So this picture adequately depicts an encounter I had the other day.  I was in my room, as usual, minding my own business, and I thought to myself, "Elisha, it is hot in here." To which I replied to myself, "Hey, Elisha, why dont you open the window?" Well, I often open the window, but just a crack. This day, Sunday, I chose to open it a good amount. I wanted to get some air flowing, the fresh kind of air. So, Im eating my sandwich and talking to Jack via iChat when Kelsey and Izzi come in my room. Next thing I know they are screaming the word "Mosquito!" and everyone is jumping. This was no mosquito. This was the biggest blood sucker Ive ever seen in my whole life.
 I was TERRIFIED. Now, I lived right in the middle of the red zone for west nile mosquitos in El Paso and not even that terrified me. I had to get rid of the thing somehow though. I mean, I sleep in this room. So I sucked it up and after about ten minutes of failed attempts, deep breaths and eye rubbing (my nervous/stress habit) I finally killed the monster. I immediately closed the window and vowed never to open it again. I told people of my encounter and many were skeptical of a mosquito being as big as I made it out to be. I later found out it was a "Mosquito Hawk" which couldnt really hurt me, but the name "Mosquito Hawk" gave me chills and made me more afraid than I was before. Anyway, upon doing research I determined that it cant hurt me. Its like the Daddy Long Legs of the mosquito kingdom. Although it is thought that they eat mosquitos, it actually isnt true. (wikipedia told me so) Apparently adult "skeeter eaters" or craneflys live pretty much to mate then die. Weird. Long story short, I would be happy if I could go the rest of my life without ever having to lay eyes on one of them. Im living in Montana now, good luck with that. Im afraid, paranoid and when I sleep I feel like I can hear them and feel them. Ugh.



2 comments:

eric m. said...

actually, ive noticed that compared to many parts of the country, the bugs aren't very bad here in this part of Montana. Other places ive been, such as northern California, Wisconsin, Michigan, Florida, and parts of Texas that are humid (not el paso) its really bad. For some reason mosquitos really like my blood and I get bitten a lot if they are around. So I always notice them. I have never been bitten by a mosquito hawk. They are pretty annoying though. But so are moths. A can of wd-40 and a lighter should blowtorch them real good and show those fools who's the boss.

Jake Bramante said...

The real nice thing about Montana is that you pretty much can usually figure out if it's deadly. The one exception is that we have Hobo spiders and Wolf spiders which aren't awesome. Other than that, we don't have poisonous frogs, snakes, birds, bats, killer bees or anything like that. You don't have to worry about if the red and yellow are touching. Say for example, you come across a Grizzly bear... looks dangerous and big. That's because it is. Blue bird, not dangerous. There you go.