Thursday, August 7, 2008

On red neons, expired registration, expired inspection, expired proof of insurance, yellow lights and police officers.

THE SEVEN TICKETS I DID NOT GET TONIGHT

Where do I start to tell a story of such great defeat yet victory? A story of such sadness but gladness? A story where all the odds are against you? No, Im not talking about remember the titans, and no Im not talking about Sylvester Stallone in Rocky Balboa. So what am I talking about? Let me tell you. So, a couple of things before hand,  my car has been pretty ghetto lately. When I brake, the lights occasionally flicker on and off. Next order of business.  My registration expired in July. Oh, also my inspection is expired as of June. Moving along... Oh wait, did I mention that my proof of insurance is expired? I have insurance, everyone should, but I just don't have the proof of it. Anyway, now I can move along. So, tonight, August 7th, 2008, I was driving home from work. Meridian was approaching me, actually I was approaching meridian and everyone knows that cops absolutely LOVE to pull people over on meridian. So what did I do, I decided to speed to get off of it sooner. No, not really. I decided to go the speed limit, use my blinkers and all that good stuff. So I see this cop pull onto the road so naturally I am extra cautious. So, she is in the left tuning lane and I am in the lane to stay straight. I know she is setting me up. So Im approaching the Idaho intersection when all of the sudden the stupid light turns yellow. I think to myself, "Self, I hate yellow lights. They make me nervous. Self, this is a yellow light, you can make it through." Then I think to myself, "Self, DON'T RUN THE LIGHT!" I stopped pretty quickly and before the white line I should add. I looked to my left and there she was. She had stopped significantly far behind the car in front of her just so she could pull out behind me. And what do you know, she did. So now I'm driving and going the speed limit. I turn on my signal to get onto appleway and what do you know. A nice little flashing car behind me. So I pull over. I am kind of freaking out but totally keeping myself together. I get my license ready and am so prepared to do my business. So the cop comes up to my window and tells me, "Hey, I just wanted to let you know why I pulled you over. Your plates are expired" So, I was like "oh, yeah, they just expired and I've been waiting for my parents to send me the title so I can register my car up here." I then told her, "I might as well tell you now. I also have expired inspection" To which she replied, "That's alright, we don't have inspection up here in montana" I was grateful. She then asked for my license and proof on insurance. To which I then told her, "Also, I have insurance, but the paper I have only shows proof up until the end of July. So I can give you that one" Lucky for me she took it only asking for my license, address and phone number. I gave them all to her gladly. As she was writing them down her extremely bright flash light shone brightly in my eyes accidentally. I think she felt bad. She asked me to stay in my car, and I asked her if it would be okay to turn my car off. It was. She came back and told me, "I'm not going to write you a citation, but you should get you plates changed pretty soon because you can get a citation for that next time" I then said thank you a bunch of times and we  both went on our ways. I wanted to take a picture to blog about this, but I figured that might be pushing my limits a little bit. Long story short, God is good, I am thankful, grateful and oh so happy!

2 comments:

Kevin said...

how wonderful, my sister, the fugitive who never got caught.

jennie said...

getting pulled over brings about one of the worst feelings in the world! i'm glad you had a nice lady cop (usually they're meaner), but i hope you're taking care of those things :) and thanks so much for the aveeno...