Thursday, August 14, 2008

This is blood on my own hands



Have you ever had blood on your own hands? Have you ever been the cause of such a bloody mess as this? Have you ever wondered what it would be like to hold a heart in your hands? Have you ever wondered what it would be like to rip out somethings heart and just leave it laying on the ground? I haven't but the other day I did it. This is the story of how I got a little bit too excited about cherry pitting. Carrie (who took these pictures) got a bunch of cherries but realized that we did not have a pitter to pit the cherries. After pitting one  (or maybe a few) she allowed me to pit some.  I carefully placed the fresh, little, round, succulent cherry in the little contraption of doom. I really had no idea what I was getting myself into. I put my hands on the handles and squeezed tightly. Then it happened. A little cherry pit burst forth and landed in the bowl, leaving the cherry dripping out it sad succulence. Drip by drop the juice flowed from the little cherry with a hold where it's heart once sat. I looked at my hands, they had its blood on them. I looked at the sink, it had the cherry's blood on it, I looked at the bowl, with the little pit sitting in a pool of cherry juice. Then I grabbed another cherry, placed it ever so carefully into the pitter and let it say its last goodbye. Then I squeezed tightly again. Over and over I committed this act. Over and over the cherries bled. Over and over I found the launching of the pit out of the cherry to be amusing and looking back now, I am sickened by it. I feel like in this situation I would be the person petitioning the event. I feel like I would be the one letting the cherries voices be heard. I feel like I would have been the one who grabbed the cherries out of the hands of the pitter and at least allowed them to say a few final last words. Unfortunately, this time, I was not. This time, I was the executioner. Also, my hands had this purple stain on them for a little while. 

3 comments:

Solomon Ray said...

...Sweeney Todd

eric m. said...

Wow. If I had not been totally desensitized by years of tv and video game violence, I would be so offended right now.

Hmmm, mortal kombat, anyone?

"finish him!"

jennie said...

first, i never knew there was such a thing as a cherry pitter. second, you must be asian, because you look it. third, you're really funny.