Monday, October 27, 2008

Mari-what?

Do you know what this is a picture of? Yes, it is something burning, but do you know what it is? Well, allow me to tell you a story first.

A few weeks back I was reading about a third grader in Whitefish. One would tend to think of third graders as being, innocent, untainted by society, you know, the usual. Well, this is not so. There is a third grader who confessed to smoking pot in the bathroom at the school. Not only that, but this third grader offered some to his fellow students and hid his pot pipe under a shed on the playground. Anyway, you may be wondering, "why are you telling me this?" Well, here is the deal. I grew up in El Paso. I grew up in the hood. Maybe not the hood, but the boarder none the less. When I was in third grade I don't even think I knew what marijuana was and I don't think I would have really cared either. I don't think it was until middle school that I started to figure out what the kids were doing behind the school by the ditches. Then in high school those same kids threw rocks at us as we ran our practices for cross country. Anyway, I digress.

Today we went to go look at some apartments that are being built behind us. I knew I smelled something fishy in the air. I voiced my concern to my fellow onlookers. I said something along the lines of, "it smells really bad" then later I was like, "it smells like pot. I know it is pot. I am not happy. The smell of pot makes me very unhappy." We joked around a bit about me going door to door asking if anyone had pot then doing some sort of citizens arrest. There were also jokes about the shoes hanging from the telephone wires outside my apartment. Anyway, after going to the store I realized the horrible smell was getting worse. I told carrie, "That smell it sooooo pot. It smells so bad. It makes me angry. It smells like pot and I hate that." After dinner I made my way to kevin and alaina's. On my way there I realized it. The only possible explanation would be that a field of marijuana caught on fire. So, as I walked in I said, "I'm pretty sure a field of marijuana caught on fire outside." to which Sara said, "it smells like cigars." To which kevin when outside and came in saying, "Oh my gosh. Wow that is strong. and totally pot." We closed the doors and realized if we sat outside we could totally get high off of second hand smoke. It smelled horrible. I did not know the smell because it is what I was raised in, but I know the smell because I was raised in a border town and went to a couple warped tours. My first day of high school, as I walked to the burrito truck I remember a group of hoodlums smoking in a circle. I stopped going to the burrito truck that day.  Also those kids that threw rocks at me and my fellow runners. That sucked along with the death threats. Needless to say, we stopped running there.

5 comments:

eric m. said...

I was wondering why the local albertsons was completely out of doritos.

Josh Bowers said...

So where was the plant on fire at? When did you find it? How does the story end?

Cary Krager said...

LORD HAVE MERCY!!!

Kevin said...

i would like to correct a statement in your blog. you did actually, in fact, grow up in the hood because all of el paso is ghetto.

Mom said...

That is really sad. You all totally did not grow up in the ghetto.