Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Eternity Is More Important Than Getting Hit By a Bus

Hey-oh,
Watch the video.


So, today I came across this video. If you don't know who this is, it's Penn, like Penn and Teller, as in the Las Vegas magicians who have a magic show. Anyway, Penn is an atheist, and it is apparently pretty well known.  

I was watching this video and I don't think I reacted in a way that I would have thought I would. I think I wasn't really expecting much from it, but instead I found myself thinking. I got to thinking. How seriously do I really take spreading the gospel? How many people have I had the opportunity to share with but didn't. It's funny how a magician, an atheist magician who absolutely disagrees with the everything that is the essence of what I live for can GET it. 

I think that just the thought of someone dying who didn't know Jesus should seriously grieve us. I think that it should weigh us down. I feel like we should hurt even when we think about every person on this earth that is lost. As christians this is what we are called to do. This is the great commission. How seriously do we take other peoples eternity? 

I think that this is something that we already knew. We know that we are to go and spread the gospel. We know that we have something that is so exciting and so freeing and so redeeming that we want to burst at the seams and share it with everyone around us. But do we? Is it social awkwardness? Do we seriously hold back because we don't want to make a situation awkward? Do we seriously hold back because we don't want to change the way things are? Shouldn't we be striving to reshape the way people live, the reason people live? Why don't we do this? Why don't I do this every single day? Is it a matter of love?  I think it is crazy when he goes about asking how much you would have to hate someone to believe in a heaven and hell, to believe in and eternal life, and still not try to convince them. We should be motivated by love for the lost. We should be at a place where there is a love for the lost, the hurting, and the searching that is so great the thought of them dying brings us to mourn. I think that people need to be loved and far too often we don't try to let people know that there is a bus that bearing down on them.

No comments: