Tuesday, March 31, 2009

YAY! Collectors!

I've recently been getting a lot of calls from this one random out of state number. I looked into it because I was pretty tired of being called multiple times a day. (Wow, I was just called. Like literally just now!) So, this is what happens. I get several calls a day. Most of them I ignore because I don't know the number. Eventually I pick up. Of course, there is no reply. The phone hangs up on me. They call back again. So, I do what I do best. I google this garbage. It turns out it's supposed to be a Wells Fargo Overdraft Branch, or something of the sort.

Anyway, it turns out that there are a couple of situations. 

Situation 1: It is a scam and they want my information.
Situation 2: Someone has stolen my identity. (which would suck)
Situation 3: Someone gave out the wrong number (aka: my number)

I call the number back and instead of waiting through the automated voice machine, I just press zero. I am transferred to a human being. (Going into this I know the best thing to do is to not give out any information, because well, that would absolutely not be wise on my part.) He says, "Hello, this is (insert name), may I have your account number?" I say, "Nope, I don't have an account number. I just keep getting calls from this number and when I answer the phone hangs up on me." He says, "Okay, I see this number registered to a Mario Chavez." To which I almost interrupting say, "Nope, not Mario Chavez. I don't even know a Mario Chavez." Then he says, "Okay, I'll fix this for you." I thank him and go on my way.

Well, apparently that didn't work out, especially since I got a call as I wrote this. I will call back again, and if it doesn't work... well, I'll take matters into my own hands.

No comments: