Saturday, July 25, 2009

Writings from another night

I wrote this the other night. I am posting it now.

Let me be the first to admit to being a poor follower of Dave Ramsey. Yeah, I learned a lot from him. Unfortunately, I feel like I knew all about what I was supposed to be doing, but I just didn't want to do it. Well, I did it for a little while, but then I stopped. I couldn't figure out why. It all makes a lot of sense really.

Recently I've kind of been changing the way I live. I've taken things out of my life that were slowly absorbing my time and becoming less and less profitable while filling that time with the things that I should be doing anyway. On that note of change, I've recently decided to become more aware of my financial situation. I get paid tomorrow night, so I figured I'd get a jump start on my budget.

I started doing my budget and I began to realize why I hate doing a budget. It isn't so much the puzzle aspect of the process, because I find that fun and fulfilling, but rather, I realized that when I do a budget I just get discouraged. I think that when I live ignorant of my financial situation, I don't realize just how little I make. I just kind of live my life, happy in the moment, not having to deal with the reality of my "savings" account. I guess what I am getting at is this: When I do a budget, I realize that if I am saving up for a set goal, say $1,000, which really isn't that much, it will take me a little under a year to come up with that amount. That doesn't seem too bad... to me... but then I have to realize, that in that budget I have no money allocated to eating out, clothing, medical stuff, entertainment, vacations, or blow money.

That's when I start to realize the likelihood of me being able to save up a certain amount of money.

I think that out of everything though, there are a few things that are important to remember.
I find myself having to be reminded that I am blessed. I am blessed in that I have a flexible job that understands where my priorities are. I am blessed in that I live in a great house with a great family. I am blessed in that I have a car that runs well and does not have to be payed off. I am blessed in that I am serving in a place that I love... with people that I love. But above all I am blessed because I have a God who loves me.

I've been thinking a lot about the "things" in my life that aren't necessary, but that I have anyway. I think that if you keep your mind in the set of counting everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Jesus Christ, things just kind of seem to fall into place. I feel like when we put things into the perspective of "all I really need is Christ," then everything else that we do have seems to be a blessing. In addition to that, everything that we do have, that we enjoy or desire, those things are kind of like the cherry on top. It is a blessing to have a job. It is a blessing on top of a blessing to have a job that is flexible. It is a blessing on top of a blessing on top of a blessing to have a job that is flexible that you love... or even like for that matter. So what the moral of this paragraph is, when you have Christ you don't need anything else... so the things that you do have, well, I'd say to appreciate and be content with them.

For the record, all of this is easier said than done. I won't claim that I am perfect. I won't claim that I am perfectly content with my life. What I will say though is that I'm learning to be. It's a bummer sometimes and it is hard, but it is good.

I think that I'm going to leave with this:
"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly of my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may rest upon me. For the sake of Christ, then, I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions, and calamities. For when I am weak, then I am strong." -2 Corinthians 12:9-10

God has good-will toward us, and that should be enough to get us through anything. He grants us grace to get through the things we endure. When we are humbled, when we realize our weakness, we can rely wholly on the strength of the Lord further allowing us to glorify Him and make known his goodness.

2 comments:

Mountiangurl2003 said...

Sooooo what your saying is no Passion :{ .....

Elisha said...

No No No!
I am fundraising for that!