Friday, August 14, 2009

Communication: Be Intentional

So lately (actually all my life) I have struggled with communication. There are so many ways to communicate with people, but I feel like when it actually comes to physically speaking about anything I can become quite awkward. I'm not going to go into the gist of everything here, but I will say a few things.

I took speech it high school. It was required. I did the work. I gave the speeches. I wasn't great, but I wasn't horrible.

You know that feeling you get when you are arguing with someone and later on in the day you come up with the perfect thing you could have said to get back at them? That is not what I'm talking about here. I'm talking about when someone asks you a question and you are so caught off guard that you don't communicate the answer properly, then later on in the day you realize what you should have said to make all things perfectly understandable.

I am not an orator. I wish I were. There are times (mostly when I'm in my car) when I feel like I could have to potential to speak to a crowd of people and preform very well. Those times are few and far between. In all reality things like that terrify me. But again, when I am alone, I can speak so clearly, and so fluidly, and so understandably that I kind of start believing what I am getting at.

I guess that hit me today. I was just talking to myself, because I do that very often (again, in my car), and I was actually talking about what it is like to communicate with intention, with calculation, with confidence, with security and with a sense of artful design. I am not that kind of person. I am not that kind of communicator. I am the kind of person, whether I am speaking one-on-one or to a group of people, who is very consistently awkward. Maybe that makes me real, but it is definitely uncomfortable. I don't necessarily want to rid myself of that, because I think that awkwardness makes me more human and more relatable. I just want to be able to speak with confidence and intention. I don't do that. I don't do that when I am around people. I do that when I am alone. I do that when I am speaking to an imaginary audience. I do that when I am praying alone. I do that when I am talking to myself. It is in those times that I feel I communicate best. It is in those times that I feel like I communicate well.

Congratulations for reading this blog. I am going to write an essay on communication.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you should take a debate class. And you speak so eloquently in your blogs, ......... Plus, I thoroughly enjoy our conversations, as they are a highlight to my day. Debate Class.... grows one's confidence and conversation structures.