Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Paper Route

This album is one of (if not the) best album I have invested in all year long. Now, granted it's only April, and granted I almost never buy cd's, I still feel the necessity to write about the quality of this cd.

I bought this cd on Monday and I've been listening to it non-stop. I think what I love most about the album is that it gets better and better every time I listen to it. It's not like, "Oh, it was just okay, but now I'm getting used to it." and it's not like an acquired taste that grows on you. No, no, no; this album is like one of those things that is amazing the first time around and only gets better and better with time... Similar to watching LOST, or any great film for that matter. It's like this: the first time around you become so enthralled with it's personality, it's emotions, it's ups, and it's downs, but as time goes on you grow more closely to it, you grow more closely to the lyrics and the meaning behind the music. You just kind of let the music become it's own, while at the same time allowing it to become a part of you. You really get to see it for what it is and not just that initial first impression.

It started out with the first couple songs we put on the radio. Those songs were great. Then I heard "Tiger Teeth" and that was even better. Then I saw the music video for "Gutter" and my heart was captured. I bought the cd, and even then I just wanted to stick to the songs I knew, but as I've been listening to the album all the way through, I've found the songs I've listened to the least are becoming my favorites. Whether it's the lyrics from "Enemy Among Us" that flat out state the reality of,
" There's an enemy among us.
He stole as best he could.
Our hearts like an enemy should.

In the silence, you're the first one that I turn to.
You're the first voice that I turn to.
In the absence of my own."

Or even in "Have You Fallen Asleep" I love the lyrics that are sung so hauntingly, "Open my eyes" over ... and over ... and over ... and over again.

The cd as a whole is one that I would highly recommend. I could say, "Oh, just buy this song." or, "Oh, just buy that song." It's way too good for that.

In summary, it will most likely make it onto a list of the best cd's I've purchased this year.

Dear Paper Route,
Thanks for being so incredibly awesome. I couldn't ask for more, except maybe another cd, asap.

Thanks a lot,
Elisha Guido

No comments: