Saturday, September 18, 2010

A Book a Week

I recently read an article by Donald Miller that was talking about how young 20 something year olds aren't really growing up. I believe it. For the most part I feel I've grown up and matured in a lot of ways (even though I am only 21) but I know I still have so much growing up to do. That is somewhat besides the point. In the article, Miller challenges the reader to read a book a week for six weeks stating, "This alone will stimulate your mind and you'lll start being bored with being bored."
I'm the kind of person that loves to buy books. I'll buy books based on their covers; I'll buy books based on their authors; I'll by books based on pretty much anything. The problem isn't that I buy books; the problem is that I don't read books. I love my bookshelf and the variety of books I own, but every time I buy a book I read maybe a couple chapters then move on to the next book that looks good at the book store. To be honest, there are very few books that have captured my attention long enough for me to read them out to completion. There are even fewer, obviously, that I have read multiple times.
So I took on Donald Miller's challenge. I decided I would read a book a week for six weeks. I've decided to make sure I have a variety of books in my selection. As of right now, my line up looks as follows:

Week 1: i am not but i know I AM - Louie Giglio
Week 2: Into the Wild - Jon Krakaur
Week 3: Forgotten God/Crazy Love - Francis Chan (I'm currently debating which to read)
Week 4: Catcher in the Rye - J.D. Salinger
Week 5: The Great Divorce - C.S. Lewis (This one is also subject to change)
Week 6: Fahrenheit 451 - Ray Bradbury

I feel most of these are subject to change, but as of right now I'm in the process of finishing up week two.
I'm sure I'll blog when I finish my endeavor and let you know how the whole thing went down. Will I grow up in the process? Probably not. Will I appreciate reading more? Chances are that I will. Thus far... success. I finished week one a day late, but hopefully week two will end a day early. I look forward to when I finish but I look forward to the exciting books I get to read in the mean time.

1 comment:

La La Landon said...

love the idea.

here's two more potentially unneeded suggestions for books.

1. no compromise by melody green

2. cat's cradle by kurt vonnegut jr.