Thursday, November 25, 2010

A Day to be Thankful

Recently I've been thinking about things that I'm thankful for. In spirit of the holiday, I've decided to compile a small list of some of the things that have really stood out.

1. The lack of facial hair on our organs and other matters to do with our innards.
Perhaps you've never considered how fortunate and truly blessed we are to not have to deal with such a travesty of having organs that grow facial hair. Sure, it may look cool. Sure you can say, "I'm literally a hipster at heart." Here's the thing though, hairy organs are just a bad idea altogether (with the exception of the organ of our skin). My primary concern for wooly innards, aside from the hygiene factor, is the potential (and possibly inevitable) itch factor that comes along with it. How do you scratch an itch that you just can't reach?
Could you imagine the torture of having an itch within you? Seriously, how nice is it that we don't have to awkwardly stab at our ears to relieve that itch located just in that unreachable spot on your brain? Or what about trying to scratch that itch located right next to your pancreas; talk about awkward. I'm so thankful that we don't have to deal with those types of problems.
(For the record, I know that asthma is pretty much eczema of the lungs, but let's pretend it's not.)

2. Not living during the black plague and other seemingly apocalyptic times.
I think it would be accurate for me to say that I probably wouldn't have had a great time had I lived during the black plague. I don't mean that in a way that I think that people had a great time as they watched bodies get piled on top of each other. I'm just saying that I probably wouldn't have had a great attitude as the "doctors" tried to draw the infection out of me with their unsterile needles and "modern technology." The 1300's were bleak enough, who needs some gnarly rat caused disease eating away at the flesh of you, your wife and your dog? On the bright side, it would have been a great time for country singers seeing as how all they ever sing about is how depressing their life is... oh and how they lost their dog.
I've digressed. Aside from the pain and rampant depression of those days, I'm afraid that this guy would haunt my dreams. He probably already does, but at least I know that I live in the 21st Century.
Those day's are behind us though, and that is something to be thankful for. But it's also the days to come that I am thankful I don't live in as well. I think it would be fair to say I'd be one of the first to go in the event of a zombie apocalypse. I'm not exactly the most cautious person, and I tend to think with the right charm and good looks any flesh eating zombie could seem like a friend. Not to mention, we've never really seen a real, undead zombie. Who know's how they really act. I think that the smart ones could keep it together... at least for a little while. I don't think all zombies have to look like meth addicts. Some could be doctors. Some could be teachers. Some could even be your mother. It's just a matter of teaching them to have self control. I know what you're thinking. You're thinking, "Zombies throw all their inhibitions aside. They're fleshly. They do what they like." I'm telling you that no one is too far gone. Not even the zombie that you catch in your back yard eating your dog. Why don't you just sing a song about it.

3. The only thing that ever really mattered.
On a more serious note (I know, what could be more seriously that bearded organs and unnatural things eating our dogs) I am incredibly thankful for where I am in my life right now. Sure, some days are harder than others, but in all things I know that God is good. In all things I know that the Lord who created me and promised me good things is taking care of me. This summer I dwelt a lot on a few verses from Isaiah 43. They read as follows:

But now thus says the LORD, he who created you, O Jacob,
he who formed you, O Israel:
"Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
I have called you by name, you are mine.
When you pass through the waters, I will be with you;
and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you;
when you walk through fire you shall not be burned,
and the flame shall not consume you.
For I am the LORD your God,
the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.
I give Egypt as your ransom,
Cush and Seba in exchange for you.
Because you are precious in my eyes,
and honored, and I love you,

As I read this I could not help but be overwhelmed by how good my God is to me. I could not help but feel completely overtaken by feelings of unceasing love. My God, my Father, my Creator, he formed me. He redeemed me. He has called me by name. I belong to Him and Him alone. Even that is so much for my heart to handle. Even that causes so much gratefulness within me. He goes on. He says that I will pass through waters, not if but when. He says that I will pass through rivers. He says that I will walk through fire. All of these things are sure. My life as a Christian was never promised to be easy. It was never promised to be effortless or painless. The great thing is that I don't need those promises. What I do need, and what I do have according to His word is that I have Him. He has promised that he will be with me. He has promised that he will not let me be overwhelmed by the waters. He has promised that I will not be burned. He has promised that the flame will not consume me. Who cares about living a life of ease when I have the promise of a Father who will take take of me? He is the Lord, my God. He is my savior. He loves me unconditionally. It's the final verses that I quoted that I love more than any of the others though. The final verses are reason for me to be most thankful. I am precious in His eyes. I am honored and he loves me.

I have nothing to be more thankful for than the love from the God who created the universe. It is his love that has absolved me. It is his love that has changed me. It is because of his love for me that I truly live. It is his love that causes me to truly rejoice. It is his love that gives me strength. It is his love and his alone that I need. What more do I need to be thankful for?


No comments: