Sunday, July 17, 2011

A Book That Everyone Should Read


Previous to today, if you had ever asked me what my favorite book was, I would have answered, without hesitation, "The Glass Castle by Jeanne Wells." It's a memoir and it's one of the most beautifully written books I've ever read. I remember reading through the first chapter at Barnes and Noble in El Paso. I think it was literally the first book that I had picked up and loved from the first page. It may have been the first book I had completely read outside of the binding required readings of the school system. I laughed, I cried, I even approached a complete stranger who was reading it to discuss how much I loved it. I also finished reading that book with a sense of hurting. There was no redemption in the story. It just ended. I was torn because I loved the characters and I had grown close to them as I read about their lives, but when it was all said and done, that was their story. It all just kind of ended.

I knew about Keith Green prior to reading this book. I knew he was a big deal in the Christian Music Industry a while back, but that's about all I knew. Oh, I also knew that I did not like his music. It just wasn't my style. No thank you to piano rock. Then I read an amazing book.

Ask me today what the best book is that I have ever read and I will tell you, without hesitation, "No Compromise: The Life Story of Keith Green, written by his wife, Melody Green." I listened to Keith Green's music as I read much of the book and the music became something different. As I read about his life, read the lyrics written on the pages, read the emotions behind it all, the music wasn't just a style I didn't like. His music became a ministry. His music became more than just words and a piano. His music had meaning like I hadn't experienced before. As I read I laughed, I cried, I was challenged, I was encouraged, but mostly I finished feeling reassured in what I've been learning a great deal of lately; Jesus is faithful.

I told someone today that if I had 6.5 billion copies of this book I'd put it into the hands of every person on this planet. Seriously, I think every person, Christian or not, should take some time to read the story of Keith Green because the story of Keith Green really isn't the story of Keith Green at all. The story of Keith Green is all about Jesus. It's about his power, his timing, his providence, his love, his grace, his faithfulness.

I can really say nothing more right now. I think I want time to process it. Mostly, I think that I don't have time to process it. I think I just need to go out and live like Keith lived: passionate, genuine, intense, madly in love with Jesus and with no compromise.


No comments: