Sunday, February 26, 2012

On talking smack.

It's funny how I've been seeing more and more often as I've been reading, that it's the things that I skim over that I end up coming back to and gleaning greatly from. This last week as I was reading Proverbs when I came across the following verse. It was the inspiration to this blog. My conviction was the purpose to its posting.

"A fool gives full vent to his spirit,
but a wise man quickly holds it back."
Proverbs 29:11

I'm not typically the kind to give "full vent" to my spirit. For the most part I'm pretty passive aggressive and have a tendency to hold in feelings until I have time to ponder their source. It's especially important to me that I should not bring up any bitterness within me to others because I know at the root of pretty much all of my begrudging is typically pride and selfishness.

With that said, here are my thoughts on this proverb that stemmed from examining myself. I was pretty fired up upon reviewing my notes today.

It's easy to want to vent to others and complain about other people or situations. I think we talk because we think it will make us feel better, which it does, but at the cost of humility, at the cost of our integrity, and at the cost of our character. Complaining and venting is typically our way of declaring how others have wronged us. More than that though, I think it's our way of defending ourselves, our side, and most of all our pride. I think it's our way of showing how we've been hurt, how we're the victim and how the other party is the culprit. The other party is a total killjoy, completely undeserving of holding a good name in the community. In complaining and venting we take the chance to defend our side and more than that we take the chance to defend our RIGHT to feel the way we do. It's our way of justifying to others why we are right and why the offender is in the wrong.

So, what is the solution? We should say nothing if it is to profit nothing. If you want to complain about something, complain of your own inadequacies. Complain of your own sin. Complain that you're undeserving of the grace of God. If you want to defend something, defend the truth of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Spend your words on the glory of Him who bled on the cross for your sake or spend them on nothing at all. Idle speech embitters. Rash words are like the jabbing of a sword but the tongue of the wise brings healing. We are all sinners. We are all equally unworthy of salvation. Thank God for the grace by which we have been forgiven and in which we can now forgive others.

"Good sense makes one slow to anger,
and it's his glory to overlook an offense."
Proverbs 19:11


No comments: