Friday, June 15, 2012

On Recent Learnings

The girls in my student group often beckon me to write a book, to which I always respond with apathy. But today I will post a few things I've written in recent weeks that have a common thread.

The common thread is a trending issue in my heart. I often feel like I know the answer to my problems. I often feel that I know how to treat my ailments. I know the solutions and I know how to get them fixed. I know when I'm not satisfied it's not because I lack in worldly means, but it's because I lack in Christ. It is my stubbornness and pride and laziness that holds me back. Though I know Christ is the only solution to any issue, it is my pride that refuses to seek him out. But to seek him out and find that comfort for the soul, to taste of his medicine is far greater than anything I could ever imagine. The taste of his grace softens my stubborn heart and mends my broken spirit. Constantly on my mind are the words, "tune my heart to sing Thy grace."

May 28, 2012,
"Let the righteous one rejoice in the Lord and take refuge in him!
Let the upright in heart exult!"
Psalm 64:10

Satisfaction is found in God. Satisfaction is found in God and in God alone. No matter how deeply you know satisfaction is found in Jesus, you must actually find Him to be satisfied. Even if I deeply desire affection, attention or recognition, no matter how deeply I long for nearness to others, or progress in my own growth, nothing will satisfy those longings for attention, for affection, for recognition, for nearness or for progress except for the attention for, affection for, recognition of, nearness to and progress toward Jesus. Don't just know it. Do it.

May 31, 2012,
"May all who seek you rejoice and be glad in you!
May those who love your salvation say evermore, 'God is great!'"
Psalm 70:4

It is my heart for all people who seek God to rejoice and be glad in him. Wherever you are, whatever you're doing, whether you like it or not, be content with wherever you are.

Stop seeking a place or a position or a people to find contentment and satisfaction. I tell you, seek the Lord, rejoice, and be glad. I tell you, only he satisfies.

If you seek God you will rejoice where he has you, for when you are found in his presence you are found in good company with fullness of joy and pleasures forevermore.

June 14, 2012,

"Yes the Lord will give what is good,
and our land will yield its increase.
Righteousness will go before him
and make his footsteps a way."
Psalm 85:12-13

All day I keep trying to read. I've tried to read Bonhoeffer. I've tried to read Tozer. I've tried to read Spurgeon. All day I've avoided reading what I needed to read most. How lost indeed I am when I seek to find my joy in reading about Christ by mere men when I can read about Christ by his own word. How lost indeed I am. How thirsty indeed I am. I can read books by all the great theologians, but until I read from the book that is life I am starved.

June 15, 2012,
"How great are your works, O Lord!..."
Psalm 92:5

How can I read this and simply agree with it without taking the time to recount how great his works are? They are great. They are faithful. They are gracious. They are magnificent. They are miraculous.

For you have taken me, a child of iniquity, a creator of destruction, a harborer of death, and you have transformed me, remolded me, recreated my heart; you have made me a recipient of grace, a possessor of righteousness, an heir of the Kingdom.

So yes, he does great works and I am of them. I am just one of them. I am such a small example of the grandeur of his works. I am an incomplete example of his wondrous works, but he who started a good work in me is faithful to bring it to completion. His grace is the fullest example of his goodness. His grace is why I get completion.


Conviction in my heart:
"The man who has God for his treasure has all things in One. Many ordinary treasures may be denied him, or if he is allowed to have them, the enjoyment of them will be so tempered that they will never be necessary to his happiness. Or if he must see them go, one after one, he will scarcely feel a sense of loss, for having the Source of all things he has in One all satisfaction, all pleasure, all delight. Whatever he may lose he has actually lost nothing, for he now has it all in One, and he has it purely, legitimately and forever." 
-A.W. Tozer






No comments: