Tuesday, July 30, 2013

A list for the here and now

If there is one thing you should know about me, it's that I am a list person-
Maybe that's not the ONE thing you should know about me, but nevertheless, it is true. I always do best with lists. If you want something to happen, make me a list. If you want me to remember something, make me a list. If you want to win my heart over, make me a list. I'm all about lists.

With that said, I've been making lists lately. But I've been making a different type of list than I usually do. Usually my lists consist of facts that I need to remind myself of, but until recently, those "fact lists," though I knew were true, never included support. With or without the support, they were true, but with the support included I've found so much more assurance and security in those facts that I've been holding on to. This is my most recent list. This is from my journal. So it's honest.

July 19, 2013
...Sometimes I think- 'So God saved me, and I'll spend eternity with Him... but until then He is just leaving me here. He is leaving me as if I were a project to fix then set aside until later.' Sometimes I think all of my promises await me in Heaven and I have nothing in the mean time. Sometimes I think I have no promises to hold on to today, and sometimes I feel like I really need a promise to hold on to for today. However, that is so far from the character and love of the Father. I know that my God cares for me now, and He loves me now, and He is with me now, and He walks with me now, just as He will continue to do so in eternity. And so I find that I must constantly remind myself that the God who is faithful to me in my tomorrows is the God who is also faithful to me in my todays.

There are promises I can cling to in the here and now: (if you hover over the reference with your mouse the verse will pop up, so that's kind of cool...)

HE is near to me - Psalm 145:18
HE hears me - Psalm 17:6
HE is working in me, he is sanctifying me, he is making me new - 2 Corinthians 5:17
HE is working through me - Ephesians 2:10
HE has gifted me - 1 Peter 4:10
HE loves me - John 3:16
HE walks with me - Psalm 23:1-3
HE speaks to me -  John 10:27-28, Hebrews 4:12
HE intercedes for me - Romans 8:26
HE goes before me - Deuteronomy 31:8
HE stands behind me - Isaiah 52:12, Isaiah 58:8
HE equips me - 2 Timothy 3:16-17Hebrews 13:21
HE strengthens me - Philippians 4:13, Isaiah 40:31
HE protects me - Romans 8:35, 1 Corinthians 10:13
HE brings peace to me - Isaiah 26:3
HE provides for me - Luke 12:24Philippians 4:19
HE satisfies me - Isaiah 58:11, Psalm 103:5, Psalm 107:9
HE does not forget me - Isaiah 49:15-16, Psalm 136:23

What about you? Do you make lists? Are there things you have to constantly remind yourself of and back up with truth?

No comments: