Saturday, January 11, 2014

Something about being filled

You can be filled with a lot of things. 87.2 percent of the time I'm filled with, coffee, too many Dairy Queen cheeseburgers, and too little sleep. (My statistics may be a little bit off on that though)

This is speaking literally of course. Figuratively though, we are filled with something all the time. It could be joy or grief, selfishness or humility, anxiety or peace, cynicism and bitterness, or optimism and patience.

About a week ago I had a friend text me and inquire as to my thoughts on us being "filled with the fullness of God" as referenced to in Ephesians 3:19. 

That sort of text would typically catch me off guard, but just the week before I had written down my thoughts on that passage, just by chance. I wasn't studying Ephesians, nobody pointed the verse out to me, I just happened upon it as I was praying. I've been thinking about what I wrote that initial night, and again when I responded to the text. Here are my thoughts:

Ephesians 3:15-21 
For this reason I bow my knees before the Father, from whom every family in heaven and on earth is named, that according to the riches of his glory he may grant you to be strengthened with power through his Spirit in your inner being, so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith—that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may have strength to comprehend with all the saints what is the breadth and length and height and depth, and to know the love of Christ that surpasses knowledge, that you may be filled with all the fullness of God.
Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen.

Our God is able and mighty. The fullness of His grace and the fullness of His mercy are incomprehensible. They are so very far beyond us, yet even still, if we were to ask all that we could possibly think to ask of him, the most audacious, the most outrageous, the most unbelievable- HE could still do EVEN MORE than that. His ability does not ever run dry. It is unending. There is always more. Just when I might think no more of his goodness could possible come, when I think it's been capped, He is still in a position to show me more. Just when I think something of His character comes to an end, He keeps going. Just when I think I could not possibly experience any more of him, he continues to reveal himself. He is ever-glorious; He is ever-faithful, He is just EVER EVERYTHING.

What I'm saying is He does not come to an end. His goodness goes on even more. His compassion extends on even more. His faithfulness continues on even more.

The things which we have already asked of Him, He can do more. When we intercede on behalf of others, He can do more. He is mighty to do more, abundantly more, exceedingly more- because He is God. Because He is God-eternal, the God-everlasting.

My prayer is that he would make his people, his church, his children, this nation, this generation, and myself to see more of his glory. To make us to know even more of Him. To mold us into his likeness, work us to more fully bear his image. To sanctify us today into who we will be when we enter into eternity. He has worked salvation- may he work even still more sanctification. May he have us to know him more fully, see him more fully, experience him more fully, commune with him more fully, glorify him more fully, share him more fully, trust him more fully, see him provision more fully, rejoice in him more fully, walk with him more fully, be led by him more fully, obey him more fully, encounter him more fully, be strengthened by him more fully, be able to press on because of him more fully, pursue him more fully, and he would have us to relentlessly and passionately love and know his love more fully.

He is the God who has given to us himself, all of himself. By His Spirit, may he fill us that we may experience his fullness, walk in it, and display it to the world around us.

So to be "filled with the the fullness of God" I think goes something along the lines of how He is continually opening up more and more of himself to us; something along the lines of how He as already saved us and made us righteous and filled us with his spirit. In terms of eternally- we have the fullness of him in that we who were once far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ (Ephesians 2:13).  However, in terms of now, we have sanctification in that even though we have him fully, we are still coming to know Him more and more daily. 

Each day, live in the knowledge that He is filling you. If you feel like you've run dry, call upon Him. He is able to do more than you could ask. He can fill you according to all you ask, but even better than that, he can fill you even more than you ask... or think to ask.

No comments: