Saturday, June 28, 2014

On Beauty

There are moments when I look up and I'm astounded by beauty... a nameless something that stops my heart. Maybe for you beauty is found when you find yourself standing at the top of that mountain overlooking the valley and you just feel so small. Maybe for you beauty is found in the sound of the rain falling as a someone is strumming their guitar on the porch. Maybe for you beauty is found when you hear your child's heart beat for the first time. And perhaps, more than the aestetically pleasing moments, beauty is found when you see a wholly broken person, crushed of the heart, yet still strong in the spirit... maybe that's beauty for you.



I took this picture a while ago- and something about it got my mind going. I determined much of life is like this picture... well, the bottom half of this picture. Much of life, if not all of it is a reflection, it's glassy and unclear, it's a dirty marred likeness of reality. It's an imperfect portrayal of what's actually there. It is, however, somewhat of a beauty in and of itself. You see it and you know, there's something special about it... it is beautiful. But it's not a complete beauty.

Whatever it is that you see and you think, "this... this is beauty..." that thing is  just like this muddy water. It's dirty, it's foggy, it's stained, it is... imperfect, but it's still beautiful. I see the people in my life and I think, "These people are kind; there are no other people I would rather live my life being around." And it's true. They are exceptionally beautiful. Their hearts are genuine and alltogether wonderful. I see nature and I think, "This is incredible. This is unreal. This is truly beautiful." And it's true. It is exceptionally beautiful. But all of it, though beautiful to me now, and beautiful indeed, is not beauty in it's purest form.

But the point of this post isn't to make you feel like everything in the world sucks and really nothing is beautiful. The point of this post is to point out that there are things in this world that are small glimpses into Heaven. What I'm getting at is this:

Sometimes I may think, "Dang God, you did a really good job." And it's true, He definitely did a really good job, but I'm only seeing the half of it. Right now I only see through the reflection of what it was intended it to be. I see everything with a gloss over my eyes. I see everything as it is a result of the fall. I see everything as death has corrupted it. I see everything as it has been marred. It still has a beauty to it, but it is only a fraction of the beauty I will see it with once He restored all things to Himself.

If Earth and the life we live here is the bottom half of this picture in some repects, the top half is Heaven and what is to come. It's the real deal. It's the real sky, full in color and clarity, it's the person, crisp, unclouded. It's not the resemblance of something... it is that thing- wholly, completely, and physically. It is beauty in its entirity.

We live in the mirror... and though sometimes we fall in love with the reflection or parts of it, we need the real thing, not merely its likeness. We long for the real thing, not just something that bears semblance to it.

As C.S. Lewis once penned, "I need Christ, not something that resembles Him." And that's what this post is about. We get to look upon beauty, but one day we will behold beauty in it's whole form. We see Christ in His Church, but one day we will behold Him face to face. What we have now is wonderful, but one day we will have wonder upon wonder. I long for that day.

"For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known."
- 1 Corinthians 13:12

No comments: