Saturday, January 2, 2016

Better For It: On My New Year's Resolution

I saw this New Years campaign recently stating, "I am my resolution," with the hashtag, #betterforit, and although initially I thought it came off a little narcissistic and vague, I couldn't stop thinking about it, and I guess that's the mark of an effective campaign. The whole point of resolutions are to create a better you. Yeah, it's to be a better you to your spouse, or your kids, for your health, for your employer, or whatever, but over all, it's all about you. And that's not a bad thing necessarily.

This year I'm totally taking on that resolution- it's easier for me to remember the one resolution of "I am my resolution" than a whole list of things I want to work on. If I can take on that resolution I will see hundreds of little changes that come as a result of following just one.

Yes, I am my resolution, but the key to actually being better because of it doesn't sit in me working on me, but rather, me resting in Christ and working for others. When I give up my life for loving Jesus and serving him, and working out of a place of acceptance and love, that's when I become better for it. When I give up myself and love others, and serve others, and seek to help them reach their potential, that's when I become better for it. That's when I reach your resolution. I won't become a better me by focusing on myself directly, by focusing on being the best or doing the right things all the time. I won't become my best self through perfectionism, or comparison, but through grace and truth.

"Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for Christ's sake will find it." That's the key to my resolution for this year. I may be my own resolution, but it's only done by laying myself aside, loving Jesus more and more, and loving others more and more.

Maybe this just sounds good but, I think you are your best self when you are your best for others, and you are best for others when you are your best self."

I'll be better for it.

1 comment:

Chelsea Yap said...

You're the best human I know